Educators implement effective planning, instruction, assessment and reporting practices to create respectful, inclusive environments for student learning and development.

During the 490 four week practicum, I demonstrated standard five in my daily interactions in the following ways:

-Ensured I had the class’s attention before giving instructions.

-Demonstrated various strategies to call for students attention and to indicate transitions (countdown, 2-minute warning, pre-teaching transition process, written prompts for what to do next, used and referred students to the class schedule board). 

-Had materials ready for the next activity and differentiated tasks to ensure meaningful and relevant activities were always available to avoid “wasted” time.

-Moved throughout the classroom to attend to students’ needs, engage in formative assessments through intentional observation, and address inappropriate behaviors.

-Came to school prepared for the day (materials printed and hole punched, manipulatives available, and differentiated activities thought of and planned for.) 

-Activated students’ prior knowledge by reviewing previous information in each lesson.

-In each lesson, I demonstrated written, oral, and modeled instructions and practice. 

-Think/pair/share, hands-on practice, and group discovery were included in each lesson

-Utilized Smartboard, whiteboard, and class computers. 

-Started and ended the day with positivity and enthusiasm. 

During this experience, I learned that being organized and prepared are essential for a successful day. When prepared, attention can go into meaningfully engaging the students in the lesson. Moving forward, I aspire to continue to foster these skills in new environments and during unplanned situations.