I am a tour guide.

Before I begin the tour, I first prepare. I start by familiarizing myself with the content and goals. Being informed enables me to accurately represent the information, connect the content to the participant’s previous knowledge, and establish a foundation for future information to expand off. Next, I prepare by gathering resources or materials that the participants may need to enhance their engagement and learning. I do this by reviewing who will be in my group and their unique needs. Developing a plan for the day with a time frame is essential to stay on track and cover all the planned sites.

While on tour, I strive to build trusting and positive relationships with each group member and a sense of community among the participants. In doing so, a safe space to ask questions, share interests, and connect knowledge is established. This process also allows me to get to know the group members and modify the tour according to their needs and goals.

When the tour is complete, I facilitate conversations to help the group members reflect on what they learned, enjoyed, or preferred to do differently. This open dialogue solidifies learning and creates an opportunity for group members to offer me feedback, enabling me to adjust and develop my approaches as a tour guide.